1.7.9: login via ssh allows Administrator privileges

Christian Franke Christian.Franke@t-online.de
Sun Oct 9 13:45:00 GMT 2011

Michael Hoffman wrote:
> When I log in via ssh I find I have Administrator privileges:
>
> $ id -a
> uid=1000(Michael) gid=513(None) groups=513(None),545(Users)
>
> $ ssh localhost
>
> # id -a
> uid=1000(Michael) gid=513(None)
> groups=513(None),0(root),544(Administrators),545(Users)
>
> Is there a way to turn this off or remove myself from the Administrators and
> root groups? I prefer not to have administrative access unless I explicitly
> request it.

Restarting the shell through cygdrop from cygutils package may help:

# exec cygdrop /bin/bash -l

This does essentially the same as Windows if UAC is enabled: The process
is started with a restricted token where admin group(s) and privileges
are removed.

The cygdrop -v option prints the removed groups and privileges, -vv
prints also the preserved ones. There are also options to control which
groups or privileges are removed in case the default is not suitable.

--
Christian Franke