cygwin started speaking German today

Tue Oct 4 12:46:00 GMT 2011

> On Sep 13 09:45, Eric Blake wrote:
>> Given this, I think the bug is in cygwin for having base files
>> /etc/profile.d/lang.{sh,csh} which hardcode LANG to C.UTF-8 instead
>> of using locale -s -u to default LANG to the preferred Windows
>> settings.
>
> Bug?  Didn't we choose C.UTF-8 after a long discussion?  Are the points
> raised in this discussion invalid or outdated now?  Why?  I don't object
> against using `locale -sU' in lang.sh/lang.csh, but we should not do
> this without a discussion of the pros and cons.

IIRC, that discussion occurred before the 'locale' application (was
written|got smarter).  Sure, I think C.UTF-8 should be the "default
default" but the arguments in favor of respecting the users' own Windows
i18n settings make sense.

However, one issue is that windows basically will always have SOME
setting -- even if just "English".  Which would cause locale to report
'en_US' or something.  So you'd never actually SEE the "default default"
of C.UTF-8 take effect.  Also, would locale append '.UTF-8' (or would
lang.{sh,csh} do so?).

Maybe we should start a new thread on this topic, listing the pros and
cons as Corinna suggested.  Who wants to summarize the "con" side of the
argument?

--
Chuck