pressing ENTER scrambles scrolled MS-DOS-console

jan.kolar kolar@math.cas.cz
Sun Oct 2 22:53:00 GMT 2011

Paul Maier-2 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> scrolling up the console output to review the console history, then
> pressing
> Enter scrambles the console.
>
> This is Cygwin-specific: The same steps with Windows' cmd instead of bash
> is working fine.
>

> To reproduce:
>
> 1. Open Windows MS-DOS console, then start bash or tcsh or another shell.
> 2. Enter something like ls to fill the screen
> 3. scroll up
> 4. press Enter
>

> Observed behaviour:
> - The command prompt and any subsequent command is printed *inside* the
> old
>   console output. Current command line is full of old console stuff.
>   (See screen shot in the attachment.)
> - Not possible to repair this by manually repositioning the cursor to the
> end.
>   Scrolling down is possible, but pressing another Enter will scroll *up*
>   the scrambled position. The only way to get the cursor down is to
> pressing
>   Enter for 1000 times, but the console output will be basically
> overwritten
>   by these 1000 command prompts.
> -> Result: Loss of the console; need to type exit and open a new window.
>

> Expected behaviour:
> - I expect the terminal to automatically scroll all the way down to the
>   latest line before printing any new characters.
>

> Further details - This works:
> - Pressing any other key (e. g. letter a) does scroll the terminal down.
> - Pressing arrow up (to review the command history) does scroll the
> terminal down.
> - Inside bash, type "cmd" to start a Windows cmd. The console behaves
> immediately
>   fine.
> - bash in xterm works fine.
>

> Further details - Does not work:
> - enter "echo ABC", do not press enter, but scroll up, then press enter.
>   "ABC" will print into the old console output followed by the command
> prompt.
>   (See screen shot in the attachment.)
>

> Thank you.
>
> Paul.

I confirm the problem.
However, I cannot reproduce that, in your or any other way.

I get scrambled console irregularly and unexpectedly, mainly when a program
prints output
when the console is scrolled or being scrolled.

JK