error while running shell in emacs

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Oct 2 21:56:00 GMT 2011

On 10/2/2011 5:35 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 9/30/2011 3:04 PM, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 9/30/2011 10:27 AM, Markus Hoenicka wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> after moving to a new position I have set up a fresh Cygwin
>>> installation:
>>>
>>> CYGWIN_NT-5.1 sbhc123 1.7.9(0.237/5/3) 2011-03-29 10:10 i686 Cygwin
>>>
>>> I use some Emacs extensions which execute external programs using
>>> (call-process). This used to work on my previous setup, but it fails on
>>> my current box. The following command run in Emacs reproduces what seems
>>> to be the problem:
>>>
>>> (call-process "bash" nil '(t t) nil "-ic" "ls -al")
>>> bash: Kann die Prozessgruppe des Terminals nicht setzen (-1).:
>>> Inappropriate ioctl for device
>>> bash: Keine Job Steuerung in dieser Shell.
>>>
>>> As you can see, my Cygwin also started speaking German, but I didn't get
>>> round to fix that yet. The messages loosely translate to: "cannot set
>>> terminal process group" and "no job control in this shell".
>>>
>>> Is this an incorrect setup of either Cygwin or Emacs, or is this indeed
>>> a problem that crept into Cygwin recently?
>>
>> I can reproduce this problem. It reminds me of a problem that I
>> reported in
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-06/msg00174.html ,
>>
>> but that started with the 2011-05-05 snapshot and was fixed in the
>> 2011-06-16 snapshot. The problem you're reporting exists in Cygwin 1.7.9
>> and persists in the latest snapshot, but with different symptoms:
>> Instead of printing error messages, emacs hangs and has to be killed.
>>
>> If one of the Cygwin developers wants to look at this, here are the
>> steps to reproduce it:
>>
>> 1. Start emacs.
>> 2. Type <Ctrl-x>b<Enter>
>>
>> [This should put you in the *scratch* buffer.]
>>
>> 3. Type (or copy and paste) the following text into the *scratch* buffer:
>>
>> (call-process "bash" nil '(t t) nil "-ic" "ls -al")
>>
>> 4. With the cursor positioned immediately after the closing parenthesis,
>> type <Ctrl-j>
>
> FWIW, the change in behavior (i.e., emacs hanging instead of giving an
> error message) starts with the 2006-06-13 snapshot. And it may be

Ignore the statement that it starts with the 2006-06-13 snapshot.  I
made a mistake and didn't test enough snapshots.  I'll have to continue
bisecting.  All I know at the moment is that there's an error message in
the 2011-05-10 snapshot and that the "hang" occurs in the 2011-06-13
snapshot.  There are still a lot of snapshots in between that need
testing.  Sorry for the noise.