Different commands give different groups

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Sat Oct 1 13:55:00 GMT 2011

On 09/30/2011 09:49 PM, gsingh93 wrote:

> Why do these two commands give different groups? It's the same user.

Because the effective gid set for the existing process differs from the
recorded groups in /etc/groups - most likely, you've changed /etc/groups
but haven't logged out and back in to start a new process hierarchy that
uses the new groups.

> Gulshan@GSJK-PC /etc
> $ id Gulshan
> uid=1000(Gulshan) gid=545(Users) groups=545(Users),0(root)

That's what the groups will be if a new process is started for Gulshan.

> Gulshan@GSJK-PC /etc
> $ id
> uid=1000(Gulshan) gid=545(Users) groups=545(Users),513(None)

Whereas that's what the groups are now for the current process.

This aspect of your situation is not cygwin-specific, the same behavior
can be observed in other OSs when you change the user database after a
particular user already has a process started.

> Furthermore, the commands mkgroup and mkpasswd give the orginial states of
> their corresponding files instead of what I changed them to. Why is that?

This part is cygwin-specific - and the answer is that mkgroup and
mkpasswd are querying Window's database of user information, not /etc
(so that you can then populate /etc with information that matches the
Window's database).  Windows doesn't care what you put in /etc, so the
amount of changes you can make in those files that still have a
worthwhile visible effect to cygwin processes is a bit limited.