help for diagnose unpedictable "fork errors", "cygheap base msimatch errors"

marco atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 13:31:00 GMT 2011

On 11/16/2011 1:40 PM, Heiko Elger wrote:
> Hello,
>
> we've still cygwin system errors.
> I use snapshot 20111030 and all other colleagues snapshot 20110829.
> We've done rebaseall and peflagsall.
> We have win7/64 (CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64).
>
> All errors are unpredictable - so there is really no possible testcase.
> I noticed the following problems:
>
> 1. runing perl:
> child_info_fork::abort: address space needed by 'IO.dll' (009D0000) is already
> occupied
>
> 2. running perl
> 0 [main] perl 22992 C:\programme\cygwin\bin\perl.exe: *** fatal error - cy
> gheap base mismatch detected - 0x612527E0/0xF927E0.
> This problem is probably due to using incompatible versions of the cygwin DLL.
> Search for cygwin1.dll using the Windows Start->Find/Search facility
> and delete all but the most recent version.  The most recent version *should*
> reside in x:\cygwin\bin, where 'x' is the drive on which you have
> installed the cygwin distribution.  Rebooting is also suggested if you
> are unable to find another cygwin DLL.
>
> -->  there is definitely no other currrent cygwin1.dll
>
> 3. running sh.exe from within make
> 0 [main] sh 5564 child_info_fork::abort data segment start: parent(0x682000) !
> = child(0x32000) m.sh fork: retry: Resource temorarily unavailable
>
> 4. running make
> 0 [main] make-3.80 22116 child_info::sync: wait failed, pid 21196, Win32 error
> 1892
>
> How can I gather more informations about the problems with other cygwin tools.
> I'm definitely no cygwin professional.
> I already tried strace - I have an strace log of problem 1.) - if this would
> be helpful, I can post it.
>
> OK - I already checked the BLODA -  and yes one is running on our system -
> Symantec Endpoint Protection Version 12.x.
>
> We deinstalled it on 3 PCs - perhaps we will see no more error there.
>
> But cause of unpedictable errors and no testcase it's not a solution to
> deinstall it on all machines.
>
> Is there a testcase for detecting Symantec as the real problem - we are in
> contact with Symantec too.
> Does anyone know the problem of using Symantec Endpoint Protection a little
> bit in details.
> Is it possible that the unloading of DLL code is delayed?
>
> I noticed in http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/129594 that there is an
> existing error - so I will give the the next snapshot a try.
>
> @cfg:
> Can this http://article.gmane.org/gmane.os.cygwin/129594 the reason for our
> problems too?
>
> Any hints are welcome.
>
> best regards
>
> Heiko Elger

Heiko,
you wrote a lot of mail , but I do not remember a single

As cygwin is working on win7/64, something is wrong on your machine,
but until you provide clear data we can not easly help you.

I am currently using 2011-11-08 snapshot  on win7/64 and it is working
fine (2011-11-14 has a problem and I have not yet tested 2011-11-16)

Regards
Marco