Cygwin 1.7.9 Apache2 startup question & issue.

Wed Nov 2 14:31:00 GMT 2011

On Oct 31 07:00, Brian Wilson wrote:
> I would like to create a bug report on the cygrunsrv command.  I've tried
> everything I can think of, and written to others who have web sites about using
> Cygwin and Apache, and no one was able to get Apache to run under another,
> secure, account from the administrative account with a command like the
> following.
>
> $ cygrunsrv -I "CYGWIN apache2" --path "/usr/sbin/httpd2" --args "-DNO_DETACH -k
> install" --dep cygserver --user nobody --passwd "password" --shutdown --type
> "auto" --env "CYGWIN=server" --desc "Cygwin Apache2 service for the HTTPD2
> daemons."
>
> If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know what it is [...]

Apart from the fact that "CYGWIN=server" is an obsolete option (see
http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygwinenv.html#cygwinenv-removed-options)
you don't provide any details whatsoever except for "it doesn't work".

*What* doesn't work?  Does the above cygrunsrv -I fail?  Or does
cygrunsrv not start httpd2?  Or does cygrunsrv start httpd2 but httpd2
refuses to run?

Did you inspect the event log or the file "/var/log/CYGWIN apache2.log"(*)?
Is cygserver actually running, provided it's really required by httpd2?
Does nobody have enough privileges like "Allow to logon as service"?
Did you set the apache configuration so that it doesn't try to call
setuid?  Are the file permission correct?  Etc.

Corinna

(*) Btw., it would be preferrable to use a more simple service name like
    "apache2" or "httpd2", otherwise you have spaces in the service
    name.  Note that sshd is installed with -I sshd -d "CYGWIN sshd",
    for instance.

Red Hat