Troubleshooting SSH connection as SYSTEM user.

Thu May 26 20:48:00 GMT 2011

On 5/26/2011 11:10 AM, Matthew Leonhardt wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm trying to install a service to keep some SSH tunnels alive using
> the following script:
>
> $ cat ssh_tunnel.exe
> #!/usr/bin/bash
> while :
> do
>    /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/netstat -an | grep 192\.168\.0\.1:139 \
>      | grep LISTENING>  /dev/null
>    if (( $? )); then
>      /usr/bin/ssh -v -v -v -x -i/home/user/.ssh/id_rsa -2 \
>        -L 192.168.0.1:139:127.0.0.1:139 -N remote_user@remote.host 2>&1&
>    fi
>    /cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/system32/netstat -an | grep 192\.168\.0\.1:3306 \
>      | grep LISTENING>  /dev/null
>    if (( $? )); then
>      /usr/bin/ssh -v -v -v -x -i/home/user/.ssh/id_rsa -2 \
>        -L 192.168.0.1:3306:127.0.0.1:3306 -N remote_user@remote.host 2>&1&
>    fi
>    sleep 300
> done
>
> The script works fine at the command line, but fails when running as a
> service.  My vain attempt to gather info (-v -v -v) only yields:
>
> Permission denied, please try again.
> Permission denied, please try again.
> Permission denied (publickey,gssapi-with-mic,password).
>
> in the service log (all three lines for each instance of an ssh command).
>
> SYSTEM should have access to id_rsa:
>
> $ getfacl id_rsa
> # file: id_rsa
> # owner: user
> # group: Domain Users
> user::rw-
> group::---
> group:SYSTEM:r--
> mask:rwx
> other:---
>
> $ ls -l id_rsa
> -rw-------+ 1 user Domain Users 1679 Dec 13 13:40 id_rsa
>
> But, id_rsa was generated as "user", not as "SYSTEM," so I'm wondering
> if SYSTEM needs it's own private RSA key, and how one would go about
> generating one, since I don't seem to be able to su to the SYSTEM
> user.

Correct.  What you propose could be a work-around for your case.  Check
out the link below for how to create a SYSTEM-owned shell that you can
then experiment with.

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-08/msg01132.html>

--
Larry