mintty fonts (was: Re: setup and mintty)

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Thu May 26 05:08:00 GMT 2011

On 25 May 2011 22:00, Ryan Johnson wrote:

>>> I tried to say before that I have done that (I saw the closed bug about
>>> this
>>> and made sure to follow the instructions there). Unchecking that setting
>>> about language-specific hiding made a whole bunch of other (presumably
>>> Asian) fonts show up in mintty, but still no Liberation Mono.
>>
>> I actually wasn't talking about that option, but the abilily to
>> show/hide each font separately. But it doesn't sound like that's the
>> issue anyway.
>>
>>> The font is officially installed, officially showing, and usable by just
>>> about everything except mintty. Most apps (like Word) picked it up
>>> immediately.
>>
>> Right, I'm afraid that leaves me stumped, given it's fine here. Do you
>> fancy messing with the mintty source code to see which flag on
>> ChooseFont() is excluding that font? It's in select_font() in
>> winctrls.c. I guess CF_FIXEDPITCHONLY is the prime candidate.
>
> Removing CF_FIXEDPITCHONLY indeed allows the font to show (and a whole pile
> of non fixed-pitch friends). Apparently the font version I downloaded
> (liberation-fonts-ttf-1.06.0.20100721) doesn't mark itself as fixed-pitch?
>
> When I select liberation mono, ChooseFont populates the LOGFONT with
> lfPitchAndFamily=0x32. MSDN says:
>>
>> The two low-order bits specify the pitch of the font and can be one of the
>> following values.
>>
>>    DEFAULT_PITCH
>>    FIXED_PITCH
>>    VARIABLE_PITCH
>
> Sure enough, grep-find over /usr/include/w32api shows:
>>
>> wingdi.h:380:#define VARIABLE_PITCH 2

Thanks very much for investigating.

> I guess somebody needs to file a bug with fedorahosted.org, but I didn't see
> an obvious way to request an account with them. Do you have one by chance?

Nope, sorry.

Clicking at the first hopeful-looking Google result for "Liberation
Mono", I'd downloaded it from a site called dafont.com. Apparently I
picked up an old version without that problem: 1.04.

Andy