How does one make a bash "builtin" (shared loadable module) on cygwin

Thu May 19 01:24:00 GMT 2011

On 5/18/2011 6:47 PM, Rocky Bernstein wrote:
>   I am trying to build a bash "builtin" (a dynamically loadable bash
> module) on cygwin. Here's the error message I get via automake/make:
> $ make
> gcc  -g -O2   -o set0.exe -shared set0-set0.o
> set0-set0.o: In function `set0_builtin':
> /tmp/bashdb/builtin/set0.c:46: undefined reference to `_builtin_error'
> /tmp/bashdb/builtin/set0.c:47: undefined reference to `_builtin_usage'
> /tmp/bashdb/builtin/set0.c:51: undefined reference to `_dollar_vars'
> /tmp/bashdb/builtin/set0.c:52: undefined reference to `_xmalloc'
> /tmp/bashdb/builtin/set0.c:52: undefined reference to `_dollar_vars'
> /tmp/bashdb/builtin/set0.c:42: undefined reference to `_builtin_error'
> /tmp/bashdb/builtin/set0.c:43: undefined reference to `_builtin_usage'
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make: *** [set0.exe] Error 1
> The complete Makefile.am and code is listed at
> http://bashdb.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=bashdb/bashdb;a=tree;f=builtin;h=428fd8f3598c88eabb10b3ba800fb900da9f858c;hb=HEAD
>
> Perhaps I need to tell cygwin that these symbols are supposed to be
> undefined since they are part of bash?

Close.  The Windows loader doesn't allow undefined symbols.  The mechanism
to simulate them is to use a library of "thunks" called an import library.
You link against the import library instead.

Since I don't know anything about how to create bash builtins, I don't know
if there's a facility for doing this with Cygwin (or native Windows for that
matter).  I suppose if not, you could always write your own thunks.  But
it's probably worth a google or two before investigating that path.

--
Larry