Copy to network UNC path from crontab works in non-production, not in production

Thu May 12 01:03:00 GMT 2011

On 5/11/2011 8:50 PM, CygwinNoob wrote:

> cygwin 1.7.7-1
> Windows 2008 64-bit
>
> I have a script that I am trying to run from cron that copies a local file
> on a Windows 2008 server to a UNC path on another Windows 2008 server.  It
> works fine in a non-Production environment, but not in Production and I
> can't figure out why.  Yes, I've dutifully searched the forum and looked at
>
> http://cygwin.com/faq/faq-nochunks.html#faq.using.shares
> http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html
>
> The answer is not popping out at me.  What I'm doing is basically this:
>
> cp a.a \\\\server-name\\sharename
>
> What I get in Production is:
>
> cp: cannot create regular file `//server-name/sharename': File exists

So what's the difference between your "Production" and "non-Production"
environments?  What exactly are you doing in both environments?

FWIW, you're better off using forward-slashes for pathnames in Cygiwn
(i.e. //server-name/sharename).

--
Larry