how to use windres.exe without installing cygwin?

ironsand eisensand@gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:23:00 GMT 2011

Hi

I write a script using windres.exe and want to distribute it.
But I couldn't find which files schould I include in my package.

It seems that windres.exe calls sh.exe and sh.exe calls gcc.exe.
At first I deleted cygwin path from environment variable and copied
following files in script folder.

/bin/cyggcc_s-1.dll
/bin/cyggmp-3.dll
/bin/cygiconv-2.dll
/bin/cygintl-8.dll
/bin/cygmpfr-1.dll
/bin/cygncursesw-10.dll
/bin/cygreadline7.dll
/bin/cygwin1.dll
/bin/gcc-3.exe
/bin/gcc-4.exe
/bin/gcc.exe
/bin/sh.exe
/bin/windres.exe
/etc/alternatives/*
/lib/gcc/*

Then it worked in my computer(win7).

But when I tried to test in other computer(vista), it did not work, and put
out following error:

/bin/sh: /usr/bin/gcc: cannot execute binary file
/usr/bin/windres: preprocessing failed.

I tried also in cmd.exe following line, but occurred same error.
c:\copiedcygwin\bin\windres.exe a.rc -o a.res

For the test I copied all files under the cygwin folder from Win7 to Vista.
But it does not work still.

I know if I install cygwin from setup.exe to Vista, then I can use
windres.exe.
But I don't want to let all users to install cygwin.

Is there someone who knows how to include windres.exe in a software without
installing cygwin? %-|

thanks