Who's using "CYGWIN=tty" and why?

Csaba Raduly rcsaba@gmail.com
Tue May 10 08:29:00 GMT 2011

On Mon, May 9, 2011 at 6:10 PM, Corinna Vinschen  wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Chris and I are wondering how many people are using the Windows console
> as local console window in CYGWIN=tty mode and why.
>
> Here's why we ask:
>
> We are both not sure why anybody would use it voluntarily, given that
> it's I/O is extremly slow, compared to using a Windows console window in
> the default CYGWIN=notty mode or, even better, mintty.  Actually, we
> only keep the console tty mode up because it was "always there", 14
> years or so.
>
> So, if you're using a console in tty mode, why are doing that?  Did you
> ever notice that it's much slower?  Did you ever consider to switch to
> mintty or any other terminal emulator instead?  If not, why?  Would
> anybody really *miss* the CYGWIN=tty mode?  If so, why?  What does this
> mode have which isn't covered by notty mode or another terminal
> emulator?

Ever since I figured out how to configure rxvt to put the scrollbar on
the right, I haven't used the "run bash from cmd.exe" console.
Nowadays, for Cygwin I use mintty exclusively.
Sometimes I run C:\cygwin17\bin\grep from the Windows prompt, but
that's not affected by CYGWIN=tty, right?

Anyway, I haven't had the CYGWIN env.var set for years, and never missed it.

> Please enlighten us, otherwise we will just rip out this terminal mode
> for good.

What would that gain ? Would it speed up the rest of the code? Would
the rest of the code become cleaner, easier to understand/maintain?

Csaba