Zsh completion problem

Peter A. Castro doctor@fruitbat.org
Fri Mar 25 02:23:00 GMT 2011

On Thu, 24 Mar 2011, Vikas Mishra wrote:

> Hello,

Greetings, Vikas,

> I have been trying to use Zsh on cygwin. I am having some trouble with
> completion. Basically if I load compinit, the tab completion doesn't
> work at all. On commenting out the compinit loading/invokation from
> the command line, it works correctly.  This is a cygwin only problem,
> the same zshrc file works without issues on Linux.
>
> I did a search of the mailing lists and it recommended Commenting the
> compinit, deleting the .zcompdump file, Starting a new shell, running
> compinit and then finally uncommenting it. That doesn't fix the
> problem for me. I don't think I have a corrupted .zcompdump file (at
> least it doesn't appear corrupted to my untrained eyes).

The ultimate cause of this particular problem was permissions on the
"functions" directories not being to zsh's liking (ie: having write
permission for group or other).  This was a build error on my part for
4.3.11-1, which was corrected in 4.3.11-2.
(Make sure you have installed 4.3.11-2, btw :-)

With the permissions wrong, compinit fails to load any of the completion
functions and ends up creating a very, very abbreviated .zcompdump file
(less than 1k in size, versus > 30k size).
You can tell this by looking at the .zcompdump and if it things like
_comps() are mostly empty, then you are hitting the problem.

Verify that you .zcompdump has move that a few functions in it and verify
the permissions on all directories under /usr/share/zsh/4.3.11 are 755
(rwxr-xr-x) and that all files under those directories are 644

This is, of course, assuming that this is the problem you are
experiencing, rather than some new, unidentified, problem :-)

If you've checked the above, then the next thing is to send me your
.zshrc (or at least those parts of if you feel exhibit the problem).

Peter A. Castro <doctor@fruitbat.org> or <Peter.Castro@oracle.com>