last snapshot (2011-03-13)

Fri Mar 18 14:41:00 GMT 2011

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:25:38AM +0100, EXCOFFIER Denis wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Please consider http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2011-03/msg00436.html

I read it.  I hadn't had time to look into it.

>In fhandler.h i changed DEFAULT_PIPEBUFSIZE back to contain
>PREFERRED_IO_BLKSIZE (instead of 31*1024*1024), installed the new cygwin1.dll
>and of course, no more problem.

You say "change it back" as if that was the only change.  It wasn't.
The meaning changed in recent snapshots.

I was trying to wrap my head around the fact that people reported
failure with the recent snapshot which wrote fewer bytes to the pipe but
I suppose that was because the buffer size was too large for their
system to handle.

Anyway, I've checked in a change which sets the size to 64K mib and a
snapshot will be available with that change soon.  This means that there
will be an unfortunate speed degradation in pipe I/O with large buffers.
I don't know how much that will be or if it will be noticeable but we
can all thank Windows XP for making this workaround necessary.

Thanks for confirming that this works.  Can anyone else who had problems
also confirm?

cgf