GNU Modula-2

Christoph Schlegel modula2@gmx.net
Sun Mar 13 17:39:00 GMT 2011

Am 13.03.2011 16:58, schrieb Corinna Vinschen:
> On Mar 13 16:17, Christoph Schlegel wrote:
>> I am wondering about GNU Modula-2. The frontend is listed in the
>> Cygwin Package List http://cygwin.com/packages/ but the
>> corresponding directory is empty. Are there plans to add the package
>> soon?
>>
>> GNU Modula-2 has reached version 1.0 some time ago. The compiler can
>> be built after commenting out a few lines in string.h - I learned
>> this from the following message:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-06/msg00368.html
>>
>> By the way, another message documents that the problem is there for
>> years now.
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-06/msg00369.html
>
> The mails are from 2008, and the problem they are refering to has been
> fixed for quite some time now.  The definition of strsignal in string.h
> is correct and aligned to the POSIX definition.  It's the same as on
> Linux, too.  If that results in a problem building GNU Modula-2, it's a
> problem in GNU Modula-2.
>
> And since you wrote "after commenting out a *few* lines", it's probably
> not this problem at all.  I'm sure with a few more details (error
> messages, which lines exactly you commented out, stuff like that) your
> problem became clearer.
>

> Corinna

Hi!

This is the error message:

Compiling /gm2-cvs-latest/libiberty/strsignal.c:409: error: conflicting
types for 'strsignal'
/usr/include/string.h:91: error previous declaration of 'strsignal' was
here

As mentioned in the messages from 2008 I commented out

#ifndef DEFS_H	/* Kludge to work around problem compiling in gdb */
char  *_EXFUN(strsignal, (int __signo));
#endif

I think the problem is that GNU Modula-2 is developed on the base of
gcc-4.1.2 (which was released 2007) which leads to the conflict shown
above. I'll try to graft the gm2 frontend onto the sourcetree of the
latest gcc and I guess the problem will be gone.

Thanks

Christoph