Unset TMP/TEMP in profile? (was Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-67)

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 12:50:00 GMT 2011

On 8 March 2011 12:06, Chris Sutcliffe wrote:
> On 7 March 2011 17:46, Andy Koppe wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't think that's right.  The default ~/.bash_profile sources ~/.bashrc,
>>> so the latter does get sourced for login shells.
>>
>> You're right. I was under the wrong impression that that was new with
>> base-files 4.0.
>
> FWIW, I'd prefer to keep the unsetting of TEMP/TMP in ~/.bashrc (i.e.
> based on user preference) vs. /etc/profile

Same here. Also, the point that so far only few people have had the
"benefit" of the unsetting of TMP and TEMP still partially stands,
because only recently created home directories will have a .bashrc
with it. In light of that, I'd still like to see this commented out by
default.

Alternatively, how about setting them to /tmp? Looking back through
the thread, that also addressed the original issue with patched files
inheriting permissions from the user's Windows temp folder, yet it
should still work for non-Cygwin programs.

> since I have multiple
> accounts on one of my machines and with my 'work' account, if I
> cygstart several different native Windows apps without TEMP/TMP being
> set they don't play nice.  I realize I could write wrapper scripts as
> per Angelo's suggestion, but I'd prefer not to.

Ditto.

Andy