windows-to-windows openssh buffering issue

Sun Jun 19 03:31:00 GMT 2011

On 6/18/2011 5:25 AM, Nathan Ridge wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jun 2011 11:52:35, Larry Hall wrote:
>
>> On 6/16/2011 10:20 PM, Nathan Ridge wrote:
>>
>>> Is there some setting for OpenSSH on the server side that would allow
>>> me to run the program on machine B in native-windows non-pty mode
>>> so that the buffering is fine? If not, what else can I do?
>>
>> No. OpenSSH uses ptys - it doesn't matter what terminal or console you're
>> using. I don't know of a way to make OpenSSH behave the way you want it to
>> with Windows console programs.
>
> Is this issue particular to OpenSSH, or is ssh-ing into to a windows machine
> a lost cause in general?

Since non-Cygwin executables don't understand ptys, they think they are
dealing with a pipe and so they buffer their output.  It's not specific
to OpenSSH.  You'd see the same issue running these programs under xterm
or mintty.  I personally wouldn't define anything about this particular
issue as a "lost cause" but YMMV.  Quite some time ago there was an attempt
to smooth out this issue with a utility call ttyfier but it had it's issues
and has pretty much disappeared.  I don't know of any other aids out there,
though that doesn't mean there isn't something .  The only things I can
suggest are that you make sure there's not some Cygwin utility that does what
you want or that you write something that does.

--
Larry