Multi-term in Emacs under Cygwin doesn't correctly identify terminal type?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Jun 3 11:59:00 GMT 2011

On 6/2/2011 11:47 PM, Duncan Bayne wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've installed Cygwin on Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. After a rebaseall,
> Cygwin works nicely. However, I use multi-term in my default Emacs
> setup, and multi-term doesn't seem to like Cygwin at all.
>
> It looks as though multi-term isn't correctly identifying the terminal
> type. It's writing what I think are control characters visibly in the
> buffer, and simple things like clear and linefeeds don't work.
>
> Here's what it looks like at startup:
>
> http://i.stack.imgur.com/RJYDy.jpg
>
> Could someone please suggest a way of getting this working? I'm very
> used to having multiple terminals available in Emacs on Linux,&  would
> hate to lose this functionality under Cygwin.

I don't know anything about multi-term, but the display of control
characters in the buffer might be caused by your PS1 setting.  See item
3 under "Usage notes" in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/emacs.README .

If you write again about this, please follow the problem-reporting
guidelines at

   http://cygwin.com/problems.html .

Also, please give a precise recipe for reproducing the problem,
preferably starting with `emacs -Q'.  And say how you are starting emacs
(under X?  in mintty?).

Ken