Cygwin Startup Problem

Fri Jul 29 14:42:00 GMT 2011

On 7/28/2011 4:03 PM, Daniel Colascione wrote:
> On 7/28/11 12:24 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
>> On 7/28/2011 3:01 PM, Ed____ wrote:
>>>
>>> Quite often when I open a Cygwin session when it runs a .bashrc script it
>>> will show errors of basic commands not found. For example pwd or ls  returns
>>> command not found when I type it at the command prompt. When I reboot the XP
>>> PC everything is fine for a couple of days.
>>
>> Sounds like it could be BLODA.<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#BLODA>
>>
>> Otherwise, read and follow the problem reporting guidelines found
>> here:
>>
>> <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>
>>

> Is there some test suite that can detect the bugs commonly introduced by BLODA?
>   Pinpointing problems, e.g., "CreateFile doesn't properly interpret
> FILE_FLAG_OVERLAPPED pipes", would be useful not only for users trying to run
> reliable systems, but for developers trying to make sure their programs don't
> interfere with the rest of the system.

No, there's nothing like that currently.  It would probably be a good
chunk of work to make a nice, useful diagnostic tool here.  Could be
helpful.  I suppose one could argue that any effort would be better
spent on exploring new ways of avoiding these issues than tools to
recognize them.  But one may lead from the other so I certainly wouldn't
discourage anyone from efforts either way. :-)

--
Larry