[ -w filename ] returns true when permissions are -r--r--r--

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Wed Jul 20 18:21:00 GMT 2011

On 07/20/2011 12:05 PM, Reid Thompson wrote:
> Is this broken?  Or a known windows/cygwin discrepancy?  Or am I missing
> something with my posix/windows file permissions settings

If you are running as an administrator, that might explain it.  Admins
can alter any file regardless of permissions, in which case [ -w is
telling you the truth that under your current uid, you can indeed write
to the file.

This is a feature of access(file,W_OK), and not a bug.