Random fork failures

Fergus fergus@bonhard.uklinux.net
Tue Jul 12 13:18:00 GMT 2011

 >> Right. But rxvt crash.
 >  I have no such problems with rxvt.

Only incidental to the matters you have raised, but for what it's worth:

Not quite certain what you mean by "rxvt crash" but with 1.7  I have
repeatedly experienced "rxvt hang" - the rxvt session proceeds perfectly
well until Ctrl-D to exit, and then the rxvt terminal just stays there,
needing Ctrl-Alt-Del Task Manager to close it. (This phenomenon is
frequent but not guaranteed. I have no idea what activity or activities
induces it. With 1.5 Legacy there is no such problem.)

When rxvt is started without switches in 1.7 the default terminal ("echo
$TERM") is xterm. If I start with the explicit switch
rxvt -tn cygwin
to set TERM to cygwin then the "hang" problem goes away and rxvt works
just fine. I don't actually "know" whether this is the cure, or even of
the problem is common or well understood; maybe "rxvt -tn rxvt" would be
a better switch to use.

(People recommend mintty for 1.7 and probably with very good reasons,
but I still quite like rxvt.)

Fergus