After installing 1.7.7 command ls is null

Jørgen Steensgaard jsm@steensgaard.org
Mon Jan 31 16:12:00 GMT 2011

Hi

I have just installed 1.7.7 after several unsuccessful attempts.
Several auxiliary libraries were not included in the installation after
setup finished.  OK -- so I had to locate and rerun setup repeatedly.

At some point I succeeded in having a terminal running with a
bash-shell. It was probably my own fault not to have 'find' and 'sed'
included, since that obviously is supposed to be common knowledge.

Finally with the terminal running the shell -- including, finally, usual
command editing facilities -- one problem remains

   ls gives me no reaction at all :-(

I can type other commands and get the expected behaviour, but not ls --
and who knows what others.

Quite an experience!  With patience I might become as pleased with 1.7
as with a 1.5 on another machine.

Any suggestions?  I include a cygcheck.out, the generation of which
followed the message:

     garbled output from 'id' command - no uid= found

Sincerely

Jørgen Steensgaard