Possible bug in setup.exe (checking for pre-requisites)

Jon TURNEY jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Sun Jan 2 18:32:00 GMT 2011

On 02/01/2011 15:30, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
> I'm re-installing Cygwin from scratch, using the latest setup.exe on a
> Windows 7 64-bit system
>
> I had downloaded and installed gcc4, then discovered I had failed to
> download the corresponding g++ package.  I ran "setup -M" and selected
> gcc4-g++.  When setup tried to check for dependencies, it got into
> some sort of infinite loop.  I killed setup and ran it again, this
> time without the -M option.  It found one library dependency and
> installed normally.

I think this is the same problem as described at [1], in which case, hopefully
it's already fixed (although how exactly you get into the state where a
dependency hasn't been installed is mysterious and perhaps indicates another bug)

(This was a pre-existing defect which has been made worse by the addition of
progress reporting for dependency checking, as the place we get stuck at is
different)

[1] http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2010-12/msg00056.html