License conflicts in Cygwin

Denk, Uwe uwe.r.denk@siemens.com
Thu Feb 24 09:55:00 GMT 2011

Hello,

we would like to use Cygwin. After checking the license conditions we found two license conflicts in Cygwin, which is GPL v2 licensed in accordance with the COPYING files of Cygwin:

1) GPL v2 - GPL v3 incompatibility: (see http://gplv3.fsf.org/wiki/index.php/Compatible_licenses#GPLv3-incompatible_licenses)

The following files are GPL v3 licensed:
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\dwarf2.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\lto-symtab.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\config\warnings.m4
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\opcode\score-datadep.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\opcode\score-inst.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\Makefile.def
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\Makefile.in
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\configure.ac
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\binary-io.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\config\lead-dot.m4
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\Makefile.tpl
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\sim-rx.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\sim-sh.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\sim-d10v.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\sim-ppc.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\signals.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\remote-sim.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\sim-h8300.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\sim-m32c.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\sim-arm.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\fileio.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\sim-frv.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\sim-lm32.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\callback.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\gdb\sim-cr16.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\elf\rx.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\opcode\moxie.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\opcode\moxie.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\elf\lm32.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\elf\mn10300.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\bfdlink.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\plugin-api.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\elf\score.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\elf\vxworks.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\include\coff\z80.h
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\config.guess

2) GPL v2 - BSD with Advertising Clause incompatibility: (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html section Original BSD License)

The following files are BSD (with Advertising Clause) licensed
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\winsup\cygserver\sysv_shm.cc
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\winsup\testsuite\winsup.api\shmtest.c
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\winsup\testsuite\winsup.api\semtest.c
\cygwin-1.7.1-1\winsup\testsuite\winsup.api\msgtest.c

In order to solve the GPL v2 - GPL v3 conflict, the GPL v2 license could be changend in a "GPL v2 or later" license.
Another solution would be to change the license of the GPL v3 licensed files into the GPL v2 license.

A solution of the GPL v2 - BSD with Advertising Clause conflict could be to remove the advertising clause in the BSD license.

Is it possible for you to do such license changes, so that we can use Cygwin?

Thank you in advance!

With best regards,
Uwe Denk

Siemens AG
Industry Sector
Mobility Division
Complete Transportation
Engineering, Development
I MO CT ED CL SAE
Mozartstr. 33 B
91052 Erlangen, Germany
Tel.: +49 (9131) 7-29817
Fax: +49 (9131) 7-45817
mailto:uwe.r.denk@siemens.com

Siemens Aktiengesellschaft: Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Gerhard Cromme; Managing Board: Peter Loescher, Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer; Wolfgang Dehen, Brigitte Ederer, Joe Kaeser, Barbara Kux, Hermann Requardt, Siegfried Russwurm, Peter Y. Solmssen; Registered offices: Berlin and Munich, Germany; Commercial registries: Berlin Charlottenburg, HRB 12300, Munich, HRB 6684; WEEE-Reg.-No. DE 23691322