Spurious "Connection reset by peer" problems anybody?

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Feb 21 22:08:00 GMT 2011

> On Feb 21 10:26, Ken Brown wrote:
>> On 2/21/2011 10:06 AM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>>> As far as this problem goes, it would only occur at the end of a
>>> connection, when close() is called on the socket on the Windows side.
>>> The error message would occur on the peer side, independent of the OS
>>> it's running on.  If the connection just breaks at some arbitary point,
>>> it's almost surely not the problem I'm talking about.
>>
>> In my case the connection does break at some point in the middle,
>> not at the end, so it sounds like I have a different problem.
>
> Given that this is a bzr+ssh scenario, there's a good chance that your
> problem is fixed by the patch cgf applied tonight.  Would you mind to
> test this with the latest snapshot?

The problem is not fixed, but I think it's happening less often.  (I
can't be sure, since the problem is sporadic.)  Here's what I did:

1. I installed the snapshot and updated my mirror of the bzr repository.
  It failed once but then worked the second time.

2. I tried (once) to create a new mirror from scratch, and it failed.

3. I rebuilt cygwin1.dll with your latest changes (2011-02-21 17:01:06)
and tried again to create a new mirror from scratch.  Again it failed
once but worked the second time.  This is remarkable, because a huge
amount of data got transferred.  So I'm inclined to think there's been
an improvement.  But I might have just gotten lucky.

Ken