emacsclient problem

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon Feb 21 20:26:00 GMT 2011

On 2/21/2011 12:57 PM, Nick Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to use the cygwin version of emacs and emacsclient,
> however I am running into an issue.  The scenario that I am attempting
> is as follows:
>
> 1.  Launching emacs from mintty (both of which were installed from the
> cygwin installer).
> 2.  A simple init.el inside the .emacs.d directory that looks like this
> (http://pastie.org/1590067).
> 3.  Background emacs with C-z
> 4.  Launch emacsclient somefile.txt to edit the file.
>
> When I perform step 4, the command prompt doesn't appear to invoke
> emacsclient, the display does not change, and I do not see the file I am
> attempting to view.  I have to issue a C-c to break the prompt back to
> normal user input.
>
> Version Information:
> mintty:      0.9.5
> emacs:       23.2.1
> emacsclient: 23.2
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be the cause of this
> behavior?  Should this in fact work?  Any suggestions would be
> appreciated.  Thanks.

I don't see anything in the emacsclient documentation that suggest that
the emacs server should continue to run after being suspended with C-z.
  Here are two alternatives that do seem to work (but see the
documentation for much more information):

1. Start emacs (and the emacs server) in one mintty window and run
emacsclient in another.

2. Start emacs with the --daemon option.

Ken