Where to find a reliable provider of CygwinX?

Jørgen Steensgaard jsm@steensgaard.org
Tue Feb 1 16:26:00 GMT 2011

Thanks Marco.  Below I react in-line to most of your questions.  My main
point is the lack of distribution consistency I have reported on.

Jørgen

On 01/02/2011 16:45, marco atzeri wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM, Jørgen Steensgaard  wrote:
>> After having installed a basic version of Cygwin I wanted to install X and a
>> few programs that depend on it.  Using one mirror I thought I was doing
>> well, but no program X were found.  Somehow I got the information that xinit
>> was needed, but that I could not obtain from the mirror. So I found another
>> and lo-and-behold: I got xinit, X, and Xemacs.
>>
>>  From previous experience I knew that the X-server should be started somehow,
>> but I could not resist to call Xemacs right away.  And believe it or not: it
>> could not start, and complained about a missing cygjpeg-62.dll.  So back to
>> the provider to have a look for the package libjpeg-62, identified by a
>> lookup elsewhere.  But neither of the two providers had such a package, but
>> instead some different libjpeg-*. After having downloaded all of these, the
>> complaint came back again.
>
> the package is "libjpeg62"

Sorry for the added hypen.  I use another computer to send mail for the
moment.

> http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-cat.cgi?file=libjpeg62%2Flibjpeg62-6b-21&grep=cygjpeg-62.dll
>
> are you sue that xemacs need cygjpeg-62.dll ?

Only to the extent that I can rely on the reaction to my attempt to run
xemacs.

> on the setup.ini file it is reported libjpeg8
>
> @ emacs-X11
> sdesc: "X11 binaries for Emacs."
> ldesc: "This package contains the X11 binaries for emacs.  Install
> it if you want to run emacs using the X window system for
> display.  The binaries also can be used in non-X11 mode."
> category: Editors Interpreters
> requires: alternatives emacs font-adobe-dpi75 font-misc-misc libICE6
> libSM6 libX11_6 libXft2 libXpm4 libXrender1 libdbus1_3 libfontconfig1
> libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgdk_pixbuf2.0_0 libgif4 libglib2.0_0
> libgtk2.0_0 libjpeg8 libncursesw10 libpng12 libtiff5 cygwin
> version: 23.2-3
>
> what is the output of    "cygcheck emacs-X11.exe"  ?

   1. could not find emacs-X11.exe
   2. cygcheck xemacs-21.4.22.exe outputs several lines, one of which
      reads:
        cygcheck: track_down: could not find cygjpeg-62.dll

>> So: please give me some advice on where to find a provider of all packages
>> and preferably also some about how packages have been tested for
>> completeness.
>
> any mirror should contain all the packages.

I agree that this should be the case, but experience that it is not.
The absence of X and xinit from one provider and presence in another is
more than annoying.

> The problem you see is more likely due to the fact that libjpeg62 is
> an obsolete package,
> So to see it on the "select packages" window list you need to unset
> "hide obsolete packages" in the left down corner of the window .

Thank you for a hint to work around this particular situation.  My main
objective is to discuss distribution consistency.