Sorry "people" (NOT MY taxonomy!!), but igncr IS flawed

Dave Korn dave.korn.cygwin@gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:58:00 GMT 2011

On 19/12/2011 17:35, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Dave Korn!
>
>> Windows GUI-based archivers are well known for causing this problem.
>
> To be fair, you should reduce your reference to "WinZIP is known for".
> At the very least, WinRAR and 7-Zip, both won't try to hold your hand in this case.
> I don't know about WinACE, though, and I'm not going to check it myself.

  I haven't checked, but would bet WinRAR and 7-Zip don't accurately recreate
the posix permissions when they unpack a *nix tarball.  They probably don't
unpack device nodes right either.  They can probably get softlinks right but I
haven't tested that either.

  Rather than play guessing games about which gui-based unpackers will do a
good job of unpacking something into a Cygwin environment and have to
repeatedly re-solve the problems they may cause every time someone says "Oh,
well you said not to use WinZip, so I used WinRAR (or whatever) instead", I
just err on the side of caution and simply advise: for unpacking stuff into a
Cygwin environment, always use a Cygwin-aware tool.

    cheers,
      DaveK