cron log file empty

Mike Brown brown@mrvideo.vidiot.com
Sat Dec 17 16:21:00 GMT 2011

On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 09:04:38AM -0500, Pierre A. Humblet wrote:
> cron logs to syslog, which by default uses the Windows log and which you
> can read directly in Windows or filter with cronevents.

Good to know for the future.

> It's the first time I can recall where this is a problem, except for the
> double entry in passwd. Do you use the crontab program to edit the crontab?

Yes.  I've never hand edited the output file created by crontab, always
crontab -e.

> It makes sure all ownerships/permissions are correct.

Then it is doing a lousy job of it, otherwise it wouldn't bitch about
ownership permissions.

After I did a reboot, cron was no longer running as me, but as UID 0, so it
started complainging about ownership again.

As noted in a followup posting, I reverted back to 1.5 and all is well.

MB
--
e-mail: vidiot@vidiot.com | vidiot@vidiot.net            /~\ The ASCII
[I've been to Earth.  I know where it is.         ]      \ / Ribbon Campaign