Starting Z-shell via telnet connection to XP box

Andrew DeFaria Andrew.DeFaria@tellabs.com
Fri Dec 9 20:09:00 GMT 2011

On 12/9/2011 9:03, Mike Brown wrote:
>> Because with OpenSSH properly configured you get scp and sftp pretty much for free.
> I don't use either feature :-)
Maybe because you're using WinSSD! :-)

You don't use those features on your Solaris boxes? Oh wait you seem to
only have one....
>> Because you don't need to then get, install, config, update, etc. a bunch of individualized packages all over the place!
> Like I mentioned, I did a search of the packages and got fooled and didn't
> notice that the website only lists the first 30.  If the website did what
> other sites do, and that is have multiple pages, I would have gone thru
> the other pages and seen openssh.
What website? You mean http://cygwin.com/packages/? If you would have
searched for openssh or even sshd you would have found it.
>> Never understood why people do this. They get Putty (which, AFAICT, doesn't play well with the concept of pre-shared ssh keys (in a Unix sense) and doesn't give you scp, etc.) and then get some paid for X server like Reflections/X or something like that, then get some WinFTP server and WinCVS thingy, etc. Why do you want to mess with all of these non-unix, non integrated and sometimes shell out $$ to piece together something when all of that is available inside Cygwin and they all "play well together"???
> My main server is Solaris x86, soon to be replaced with Linux Fedora 14.
> Cygwin is placed on the two XP boxes that deal with satellite feed capture,
> editing and rendering.  Con is my friend, as well as the Z-shell scripts that
> I have to do various jobs.
That may be, but my rant is not aimed solely at you. I see people
everyday, with many more servers and the like at my clients getting
putty here and Reflections X there and FireFTP somewhere else...
> I have puTTy on my laptop, which is what I use to get into my Solaris server
> when I am away.
I've always had problems trying to configure putty to use pre-shared
keys. I hate typing in my password umpteen times a day!
>   Don't do X as the DSL outbound speed is too damn slow. I do everything via text.  It is all I need.
I've done X from my house to my client's site without much of a problem.
It's a little sluggish but not too bad. At home I have about a 1-3Mbps
upload speed. Exactly how slow is your DSL?
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
A budget is just a method of worrying before you spend money, as well as