Cygwin slow on x64 systems?

Tim McDaniel tmcd@panix.com
Mon Dec 5 19:45:00 GMT 2011

On Mon, 5 Dec 2011, marco atzeri wrote:
> On 12/5/2011 5:20 PM, Tim McDaniel wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Dec 2011, Buchbinder, Barry wrote:
>
>> And I see slowness even when everything is a bash builtin (except
>> perhaps for whatever is handling "|" -- I suppose it's forking bash
>> itself):
>>
>> $ time echo hi | read x
>>
>> real 0m1.928s
>> user 0m0.031s
>> sys 0m0.031s
>>
> on my W7/x64, a not too fast Corei5 notebook
> The first long time is likely to program loading and
> Antivirus time delay

For me, it's consistently 1.9 seconds for that trivial pipe, even if I
run it several times in quick succession.  I'm asking the support team
about reinstalling Symantec (I have seen a glitch with it), and maybe
if I get very very lucky I can talk them into another antivirus
solution.

--
Tim McDaniel, tmcd@panix.com