SSHD Issue Windows 2003 64 bit

Wed Aug 24 02:35:00 GMT 2011

On 8/23/2011 2:54 PM, Gary wrote:
>> On 8/22/2011 1:12 PM, Gary wrote:
>>>
>>> Doing a 'set -x' in my terminal window only outputted:
>>> '+ssh-host-config' with no other information.
>>>
>>> Here is the actual "path" value inside the 'path' variable in my case:
>>> C:\Perl\site\bin;C:\Perl\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Support
>>> Tools\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Resource
>>>
>>> Kits\Tools\;%SystemRoot%\system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%\system32\WBEM;c:\Program
>>> Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin;C:\usr\bin
>>>
>>> Attached is the cygcheck.out ran by "cygcheck -s -v -r>
>>> cygcheck.out".  There is a warning stating that there are multiple
>>> cygwin1.dll files in my path, I check and there are only one after
>>> grepping it out:
>>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 Administrator Administrators 2666500 Mar 29 08:11 cygwin1.dll
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help!
>>
>> There's a few things here that you should clean-up:
>>
>> * Your path points to a non-Cygwin perl.  Please either remove that
>>   installation or remove the install directory from your path.
>> * You have installed Cygwin multiple times on this machine.  Can
>>   you create a new installation where you only install Cygwin once?
>> * OpenSSH is one of these installations.  You are virtually guaranteed
>>   of a non-working 'sshd' if you install this 3rd party app.  If
>>   you want to use Cygwin's 'sshd', don't install OpenSSH.  If you
>>   prefer to use OpenSSH, install it and not Cygwin's 'openssh' package.
>>   Better yet, don't install Cygwin at all in this case.
> Isn't openssh necessary to run 'ssh-host-config'?  I've re-installed a
> fresh instance of cygwin without openssh (only cygrunsrv).  Attached
> is the output from cygcheck.

You had installed <http://sshwindows.sourceforge.net/> in the previous
virtual machine.  This is incompatible with Cygwin's installation.
That's why I recommended choosing it or Cygwin and its package.  So
if you're content to use Cygwin's package, you can install openssh
via setup.exe now.

I hadn't noticed that you are using Xen as the basis for your
virtualization.  Be aware that Xen has had problems in the past supporting
Cygwin.  I don't know if those issues have been resolved in Xen or not.
But if you continue to experience trouble under Xen, you may want to try
a different product like VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.  That may help you.

--
Larry