problem with bash recognizing c-file with cygwin under eclipse

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Sat Aug 20 16:22:00 GMT 2011

On 8/20/2011 11:12 AM, Bram Kouwenberg wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using Cygwin under Eclipse C/C++. I am trying to compile/run a
> simple c program with gcc, but the file is not found by the bash
> shell. Neither gcc or ls -la can find the .c file but ls does show the
> other contents of the project directory. I'm going crazy not being
> able to find out why the file is not recognized. Its there in the
> eclipse tree and in windows explorer..

I can't think of anything about test.c, but I do suggest that that
is not a very good name to use.  You see, test (under Unix) /
test.exe (under Cygwin) is the name of a built-in file (do "man
test" to find out about it), so compiling and trying to run the
resulting file is not a great idea because of that clash. And
if you were trying to run it and the current directory came after
the directory containing the usual test.exe, you would be surprised
that your file did not run (unless you ran it by typing ./test).
Etc.

Best wishes - Eliot Moss