sshd failes allocating /dev/tty[0-9]

Tue Aug 2 20:50:00 GMT 2011

On 8/2/2011 7:32 AM, Alexey Luchko wrote:
>>> Cygwin Configuration Diagnostics atteched.
>  >
>  > Maybe crank up the debugging flags to maximum? I assume sshd is still
>  > stopped from your last run of sshd -d. If that doesn't sound right to
>  > you, you may want to investigate why it's not running now.
>
> sshd was stopped while that run because it did not login anyway. and still
> don't.

sshd will run even if you're having problems connecting to it.  I'm just
making sure that you are testing with a running server.  If not, then
you want to make sure the server is running first.

> The messages
>  >>> debug1: Allocating pty.
>  >>> debug1: session_pty_req: session 0 alloc /dev/tty2
>  >>> chown(/dev/tty2, 11135, 10513) failed: Bad file descriptor
>  >>> debug1: do_cleanup
>  >>> debug1: session_pty_cleanup: session 0 release /dev/tty2
> were got running sshd -d in console.

I was suggesting that you run sshd with all the debug flags
(i.e. "-d -d -d") to see if you'd get more useful information
about your problem.

<snip>

> I have no clue. It look like the /dev is virtual fs for chown and real for
> ls. But both are from cygwin:
> """
> $ which chown ls
> /usr/bin/chown