could not allocate memory although set with regtool

Dirk Elstner elstner.dirk@web.de
Thu Apr 28 17:10:00 GMT 2011

Hello,

I am working with GMT and since I have to process large ammounts of data I tried to set the ammount of memory that can be used by cygwin to 1024MB using regtool. According to regtool the registry entry was created:

heap_chunk_in_mb (REG_DWORD) = 0x00000400 (1024)

I also checked that using the registry editor and the entry was added to the cygwin folder in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

Nevertheless the grdimage tool of GMT prompts an Error:

GMT Fatal Error: grdimage could not allocate memory [889.89 Mb, n_items = 233280000]

I am using Windows 7 (32 Bit) and have 2GB RAM, so the memory should be available. Does anybody have an idea of what could be the problem?

Thanks for your time and advice,

Cheers, Dirk