Spurious warnings about MS-DOS paths

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Thu Apr 14 18:07:00 GMT 2011

On 04/13/2011 09:10 PM, Ryan Johnson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A recent cygwin update has started spewing warnings such as the
> following when I do tab completion on a path containing spaces:
>> $ cd ~/Home/Documents/Pcygwin warning:
>>   MS-DOS style path detected: ~/Home/Documents/PC\ reviews\ 2011
>>   Preferred POSIX equivalent is: ~/Home/Documents/PC/ reviews/ 2011
>>   CYGWIN environment variable option "nodosfilewarning" turns off this
>> warning.
>>   Consult the user's guide for more details about POSIX paths:
>>     http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#using-pathnames
>
> Would it be possible to make the check exclude common character escapes?

No, but it probably is an upstream bug the bash-completion package worth
reporting and fixing.  Can you use 'set -vx' just before typing the
command that triggers the message, so I can see which command in the
completion function is insufficiently quoting the pathname such that a
glob completion is being inappropriately attempted on escape characters?