[bulk] - R: /dev/ttys* under cygwin problem

Wed Sep 22 21:13:00 GMT 2010

On 9/22/2010 1:29 PM, Daniel Barclay wrote:
> Buchbinder, Barry (NIH/NIAID) [E] wrote:
>> To go there directly:
>> http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-specialnames.html#pathnames-posixdevices
>>

> Regarding where that page says:
>
> These devices cannot be seen with the command ls /dev/ ...
>
> I've wondered about that--why aren't those special files listed in a
> directory listing?
>
> (The Cygwin DLL makes those device files appear when they are referred
> to by full pathname; why doesn't it also make them appear in the
> containing directory's listing?)

They are implemented in a virtual file system.  It is not necessary that
there be placeholders in the file system for them to work.  But if you
prefer that, you can add them.  This is why the documentation has a link
to the script to create the devices in the file system:

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2004-03/txt00028.txt>

Holliston, MA 01746