Oddities with file deletion on CIFS drive

Thu Sep 9 07:50:00 GMT 2010

On 9/8/2010 10:21 PM, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Wednesday, September 08, 2010 7:12 PM -0700 Quanah Gibson-Mount
> <quanah@zimbra.com> wrote:
>
>>> That covers all the obvious things for me. I'd recommend taking a look
>>> at the SAMBA server to see if user IDs are mapped correctly. Also, I
>>> know there were some problems in the past with older Samba servers, bugs
>>> and all. Make sure you're using a current version there. It may be
>>> worthwhile to look at the permissions and owners from the Windows
>>> perspective too. If that doesn't get you anywhere, I'd recommend filing
>>> a full problem report on your follow-up to the list. See the link below
>>> for full details:
>>
>> I don't think the CIFS server is using Samba, actually. It is a Celerra
>> storage array from EMC
>> (<http://www.emc.com/products/family/celerra-family.htm>), and in this
>> case, it isn't hooked up to an AD server like they usually have them.
>
> Hm, looks like it does use smb, based off google. But I have no idea what
> version of Samba it ships with. I'll see if I can find out from out
> networking team.

Yeah, there's been plenty of these network appliances that really foul up
their implementation of permissions.  MVFS and NetApp are a couple in the
past that have had problems.  If you have the csih package installed, run
/usr/lib/csih/getVolInfo <drive letter>:/ and send the results here.  And
then wait for the groans. ;-)

Holliston, MA 01746