Building Mutt: configure: invalid value of canonical build

Matthias Andree matthias.andree@gmx.de
Wed Sep 1 00:17:00 GMT 2010

Am 01.09.2010, 01:37 Uhr, schrieb Michael Ludwig:

> Matthias Andree schrieb am 31.08.2010 um 00:58 (+0200):
>> On 30.08.2010 23:52, Michael Ludwig wrote:
>> >The mutt mail reader shipping with Cygwin does not have SMTP
>> >enabled, which I'd like to give a try. So I tried to build mutt,
>> >but encountered problems.
>>
>> [... long whine about non-working build snipped ...]
>
> Whatever pills you've taken to discern lengthiness and whininess, I'd
> definitely recommend you stop taking them, especially when driving or
> writing email.

It's your problem if you don't like the answers. Your "fix" attempts break
the build system further, meaning that: if you "touch config.sub", you
create a blank canonicalization script, so don't complain about
canonicalization errors or other malfunctions -- you triggered those that
you caused yourself. You chose the blue pill, asking for blitheness, joy,
and ignorance.

So to sell you a faint clue of what the red pill might have provided if
you had so chosen: a *real* config.sub is what should be doing the
canonicalization -- a blank script won't achieve that. automake
--add-missing (which is called as part of ./prepare) is what would install
a set of real config.sub, install-sh, missing, and related scripts.

The question of if the mutt distribution is incomplete is a distinct one -
and the command line you showed on Monday works fine on a mutt HEAD
checkout from the Mercurial repo.

--
Matthias Andree