SSH - Can't Login (3rd Post)

Brian Wilson wilson@ds.net
Wed Oct 27 02:21:00 GMT 2010

> On 10/26/2010 1:53 PM, Charles Smith wrote:
> > I'm apparently having the same problem you are - when I run the ssh
client, it gives me the usage output.  I discovered that if I go back to the
previous version (5.5p1.2?), it works.  Every time I update with setup.exe, I
have to go back and reset openssh to 5.5.  I figured I must be doing something
really stupid, until a colleague complained to me that ssh didn't work - when
I told him about the 5.5 version, that solved his problem.

> > This has been going on for months now.  I do an internet search
occasionally, but nothing comes up.  I'm actually quite puzzled.

> Have you tried to confirm that you don't have an alias, shell
> function, or script named ssh that is masking the real ssh binary?
>  Something like that could be calling the real ssh with some
> arguments that are invalid under the latest version.  What do you
> get when you run the following:
>
> type -a ssh
>
> Have you tried installing a fresh copy of Cygwin to a new directory
> to see if the problem recurs in that instance?  If the problem
> happens in one but not the other when they should be otherwise
> identical, a diff over the directories might track down the problem.
>  If the problem happens in both places, maybe you have some other
> software installed on your system that is somehow interfering.

I have the same problem and have not been able to resolve the issue either.  I
get the following from the "type -a" command.  Invoking either from the bash
shell with a complete path still just displays the usage message and gives a
return code of 255.  Everything else seems to be working fine.

Brian S. Wilson@ncc-1701 ~
$ type -a ssh
ssh is /usr/bin/ssh
ssh is /bin/ssh