libpq: problem with shared library

Tomas Staig tomas.staig@gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 15:37:00 GMT 2010

Tomåš Hajas wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to use PostgreSQL C API under Cygwin, but libpq attempts load a very
> strange shared library. On run-time it states:
> "error while loading shared libraries: ?: cannot open shared object file: No
> such file or directory"
> and yes, name of the missing shared library is literally a question mark.
>
> To reproduce the problem, all it takes is just to use the library:
>
> #include <libpq-fe.h>
> int main(int argc, char **argv)
> {
> 	PQconnectdb("dbname=test");
> 	return 0;
> }
>
> Compiled with:
> gcc -o pqtest pqtest.c /usr/lib/libpq.a
>
> What could possibly cause this? Thanks in advace.
>
> Best regards,
> Tomas Hajas

Hi,
for some reason when this error message appears it has some problems
showing you which dll it isn't able to find. It happened to me with both
this question mark and with available dll files (while another dll was
the one really missing). What I did to see which dll was really missing
was to execute "strace program". This should pop up a windows message
with the real problem.

Hope this works for you.
Cheers,
TomĂĄs.