1.5 to 1.7 upgrade.

Andy Hall fixpertise-consulting@comcast.net
Mon Oct 4 22:39:00 GMT 2010

I held off updating two machines from Cygwin 1.5 to 1.7 until this week
because they were critical to a product test and release process.  These
Cygwin installations are nearly vanilla and the upgrades went very smoothly
and except for one crucial item everything seems to have worked as expected.
Kudos to every one who contributed to this effort!

Here's what didn't work.  Both machines map a Samba file system to the F:
drive via the normal windows mechanisms and I can read/write files in these
file system via windows.   However creating or writing files in these file
systems via Cygwin now fails whereas prior to the upgrade this was just
fine.

When I list the cygdrive directory, I get

$ ls -l
total 1024
drwxrwxr-x+ 1 Administrators SYSTEM   0 2010-10-02 02:08 c
drwxrwxr-x  4 ????????       ???????? 0 2009-10-30 08:08 f

and

$ ls -l -n
total 1024
drwxrwxr-x+ 1        544         18 0 2010-10-02 02:08 c
drwxrwxr-x  4 4294967295 4294967295 0 2009-10-30 08:08 f

I can't remember what user / groups used to appear, but the fact that I get
the 4294967295 is clearly related to the problem.

Mount shows

$ mount
C:/cygwin/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
C:/cygwin on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
C: on /cygdrive/c type ntfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
F: on /cygdrive/f type smbfs (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)

which seems perfectly normal.

The Samba version on the remote machine (Linux) is 3.0.10-1.4E.9.

Some time ago, I remember seeing e-mail in the cygwin mailing list reporting
similar issues, but I don't remember the resolution and searching has not
produced one.

I ran the /bin/copy-user-registry-fstab script as a precaution, but this
understandably didn't do anything because I never had any mount points to
begin with.

I don't particularly want to ask the sys admins to upgrade Samba and am
looking for a workaround.   Any help would be appreciated.

Andy Hall