File paths redirected to MSYS directory

Andy Koppe andy.koppe@gmail.com
Mon Nov 29 09:24:00 GMT 2010

On 29 November 2010 04:18, Nathan Rose wrote:
> I have just installed Cygwin on my WinXP box for the first time. I already had MSYS installed. They are installed in the directories C:\cygwin and C:\msys respectively.
>
> Simple file operations like cp or mv work fine within Cygwin . However, when I try to open a file with vi, it opens the equivalent file in the MSYS directory. For instance, the command 'vi /etc/fstab' will open the file 'C:\msys\1.0\etc\fstab' instead of 'C:\cygwin\etc\fstab'. Similarly, running make failed at one point with the error "bash.exe: warning: could not find /tmp, please create!" despite the directory 'C:\cygwin\tmp' existing (whereas the equivalent in MSYS does not exist).

You're probably invoking MSYS's versions of vi and make. You can check
that with the which command. Ensure that you do have the Cygwin
versions of those installed, and that the Cygwin bin directory comes
before MSYS's in the Cygwin PATH. To avoid such confusion, you might
want to remove MSYS's bin directory from the global Windows path,
assuming that's where it came from.

Andy