Problems with permissions after installation of Cygwin

Mark Beyer markbeyer@cox.net
Thu Nov 25 19:02:00 GMT 2010

There is no root account.  I cannot do a mkpasswd or mkgroup because I don't
have permissions to build these files in /etc.
The attached cygcheck.out file indicates AMD64 when I am running on an Intel
I7-950 processor.   The /var/log/setup.log.full is full of "Cannot change
ownership to uid 11002, gid 10512: Invalid argument" messages.

cygcheck -s -v -r > cygcheck.out

outputs:

/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'DcomLaunch': Win32
error 5
Access is denied.
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'ose': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'osppsvc': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'pla': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'QWAVE': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'RpcEptMapper': Win32
error 5
Access is denied.
/usr/bin/cygrunsrv: warning: OpenService failed for 'RpcSs': Win32 error 5
Access is denied.

What do I need to do to fix this?   I have uninstalled and installed Cygwin
and get the same results.
- Mark