sshd problem with recent snapshots

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Wed Nov 17 14:56:00 GMT 2010

> The failing chmod(/dev/tty1, 0622) is actually trying to change the
> permissions on internal objects, like events, mutexes, and pipes, which
> together constitute a tty/pty.

Here are some more data points:

1. I have access to four computers with Cygwin installations, and I can
reproduce the problem on all four (including the fact that the problem
occurs with the 9-17 snapshot but not the 9-12 snapshot).  The computers
all have similar setups and all run XP SP3, so this may not mean much.

2. To rule out the most common form of BLODA, I uninstalled the
anti-virus software on one of the computers.  This made no difference.

3. All four systems have two parallel Cygwin installations.  I removed
the second installation on one of them.  This made no difference.

I realize that you can't debug this if you can't reproduce it.  Is there
anything I can try?  I don't have much programming/debugging experience,
but I'm pretty good at following directions.

Ken