default terminal (was: Re: "can't create master tty" errors)

L Anderson lowella@serv.net
Mon May 31 23:40:00 GMT 2010

Andy Koppe wrote:
> On 31 May 2010 17:47, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> I don't remember responding to the original message so, if I didn't, I
>> apologize.
>
> No worries.
>
>> Thanks, as always, for your amazing support of mintty.  I wonder if it's
>> time to just make it the default for the cygwin terminal, knowing that
>> some windows apps won't work quite right. We seem to get enough
>> "Cygwin's terminal emulation suck!" messages that I think they might
>> outweigh the counter complaints about some windows apps not working
>> correctly.
>
> Not my call of course, although I'm certainly not opposed. I'd need
> help with the extra support, but quite a few people have been helping
> already (thanks!), so I expect that would be fine. Perhaps as a first
> step, mintty could become part of the default install?

I really like mintty.  However, even though it has the option to 'copy on
select' it requires a right click and paste to insert selected text into the
window.  This is not as convenient and efficient as the Windows based 'Quick
Edit and Insert Mode' that comes free with the Cygwin shell.  For things I do,
it's so slick to be able to merely select and right click to insert stuff that
I stay with the Cygwin shell.  I would suffer withdrawal if it were not
available.  Put it in mintty and you have my vote for mintty being the standard.

Regards,

Lowell Anderson