How to compile Fortran 90 subroutine under CYGWIN

bo yu enviyub2@hotmail.com
Fri May 21 16:04:00 GMT 2010

Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

I have the new version of cygwin installed in my computer, in which the g77, g++, gcc, gfortran, C++ compiler are in C:\cygwin\bin.

Firstly, I use cygwin build C programs and For77 programs. It works very well. Now, I add two For90 programs and want to build following program together in cygwin:

Fortran 77 program:   runslhg.f , intrface.f
Fortran 90 program:   swan_init.f90 ,  swan_loopstep.f90
C Program:            slosh2.c ,  cstart.c etc.

Step 1: I replace g77 with gfortran in 'makefile',

#!/bin/make
SHELL = /bin/sh
CC = gcc
F77 = gfortran
STRIP = strip
STD_FLAGS = -O3 -Wall -pedantic -ansi
FFLAGS =
LD_FLAGS = -Wl,--stack,8000000
STD_DEF = -D_WINDOWS_ -D_GCC_
STD_INC = -I.
STD_LIB = -lg2c -L/usr/lib -lm
PRJ_NAME = sloshDos
TARGETS = $(PRJ_NAME)
CFLAGS = $(STD_FLAGS) $(STD_DEF) $(STD_INC)
############################
# FILES
############################
H_SOURCES = slosh2.h \
            pack.h \
            myassert.h \
            myutil.h \
            savellx.h \
            complex.h \
            clock.h \
            tendian.h \
            tio3.h
C_OBJECTS = slosh2.o \
            pack.o \
            myassert.o \
            myutil.o \
            savellx.o \
            complex.o \
            clock.o \
            tendian.o \
            tio3.o
F_OBJECTS = runslhg.o \
            intrface.o \
            swan_init.o \
            swan_loopstep.o

C_MAIN = cstart.c
############################
# TARGETS
############################
all: $(TARGETS)
 @echo ""
$(PRJ_NAME): $(C_OBJECTS) $(F_OBJECTS) $(C_MAIN) $(LIB_DEPENDS) $(H_SOURCES)
 $(CC) $(C_MAIN) $(CFLAGS) $(LD_FLAGS) $(C_OBJECTS) $(F_OBJECTS) $(STD_LIB) -o $(PRJ_NAME)
 $(STRIP) -s $(PRJ_NAME).exe
install:
 cp *.exe ../../bin
clean:
 rm -f *.o *.bak *.BAK
############################
# SUFFIXES
############################
.c.o : $(H_SOURCES)
 $(CC) -c $(CFLAGS) $<
.f.o:
 ${F77} -c ${FFLAGS} $<

Step 2: in cygwin, I ran makefile, The error message is

gcc –c runslhg.f
gcc –c intrface.f
make: *** No rule to make target ‘swan_init.o’, needed by ‘sloshDos’. Stop

Step 3: To test if gfortran compiler wotk for For77 program, I try to build C program and For70 programs only using gfortran, I ran makefile, The error message is

runslhg.o:runslhg.f:,.text+0x4f>: undefined reference to '__gfortran_st_read'
runslhg.o:runslhg.f:,.text+0x6d>: undefined reference to '__gfortran_transfer_character'
runslhg.o:runslhg.f:,.text+0x7b>: undefined reference to '__gfortran_st_read_done'

My Questions are
(1) Does gfortran work for fortran 90 program only?
(2) g77 compiler works for fortran 77 programs. Does g77 work for fortran 90 programs?
(3) How to build C, FOR77 and For 90 programs together in cygwin? How to set the makefile, use seperate command for for77 and for 99?

I would appreciate any suggestion what should I look at.

Thanks again,
Bo
enviyub2@hotmail.com