Fwd: Remote restart of IIS App pool via ssh

Jeremy Bopp jeremy@bopp.net
Thu May 6 20:50:00 GMT 2010

On 5/6/2010 3:11 PM, Jason Hamilton wrote:
> Ok so this is what I am trying to do.
> Server 1 has cygwin installed and I can ssh into it using keys
> My batch file on the server is working just fine for what I want it to do
> Here is the problem.  I have a vbs script that needs to be ran at the
> beginning and the end of the shell script to stop and start a remote
> app pool.
> Here is my script
>
> All this does is stops the app pool on the second server, copies the
> files over and then starts it back up.  Nothing special
>
> #! /bin/bash
>
> cmd.exe /c E:\stopapppoolenv1.vbs
>
> xcopy /y /s /i "E:\WEBSITES\bpmportalenv1\webroot\*.*"
> "\\bidcbpm2002.corp.global.level3.com\bpmportalenv1$"
>
> cmd.exe /c E:\startapppoolenv1.vbs
>
> exit 0
>
> So when I run it,  it copies the files to the remote server just fine
> but when it gets to the section about stopping and starting the app
> pool on the remote server I get this
>
> $ cmd.exe /c stopapppoolenv1.vbs
> e:\stopapppoolenv1.vbs(2, 1) Microsoft VBScript runtime error:
> Permission denied: 'GetObject'
>
> when I log into the box as the user that I am sshÂ’d in as I can run
> the vbs files just fine the user is a local admin on both boxes.

My guess is that you have not followed method 3 for accessing the system
remotely without a password:

http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-nopasswd3

Basically, you need to somehow have your domain password available so
that a full token can be created which allows for network access and
authentication.  The only marginally secure way to do that with pubkey
authentication under ssh is to use method 3.

-Jeremy