"Error opening terminal: cygwin." when attempting to start lynx

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Mon May 3 12:13:00 GMT 2010

On 5/1/2010 3:23 PM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, Ken Brown!

>>> cygcheck did not list your installed packages for some reason which sounds like
>>> you may have more than one cygwin1.dll on your system.
>
> Not possible. Same DLL in multiple places (due to different mount points) -
> possible, but certainly not different versions of DLL's.
>
> [C:\]$C:\bin\which.exe -a cygwin1.dll
> /usr/bin/cygwin1.dll
>
> [C:\]$which cygwin1.dll
> cygwin1.dll is an external : C:\bin\cygwin1.dll
>
> [C:\]$mount
> C:/bin on /usr/bin type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C:/lib on /usr/lib type ntfs (binary,auto)
> C: on / type ntfs (binary,auto)
> R: on /cygdrive/r type iso9660 (binary,posix=0,user,noumount,auto)
>
> [C:\]$
>
> See? 4NT and cygwin both see only one DLL.
>
>>> For sure it is obvious that your PATH isn't right.
>>> Cygwin's directories should always come first.
>>> So maybe you aren't running a cygwin versin of lynx but are, instead, running something
>>> which does not understand the cygwin TERM type.
>
>> The cygcheck output also shows two Cygwin installations, one contained
>> in the other.  That seems risky.
>
> It's just a consequence, there's in fact just one installation.
>
> But I've tried to move Cygwin folders earlier in Path...
>
> [C:\]$set PATH&&  lynx
> C:/bin;C:/usr/sbin;C:\WINDOWS/system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS/System32/Wbem;C:/usr/4nt;C:/usr/Delphi/vbroker/bin;C:/usr/Delphi7/Bin
> ;C:/usr/Delphi7/Projects/Bpl;C:/usr/sbin/svn-win32/bin;C:/PROGRA~1/WINRAR;C:/usr/ARH/7ZIP;C:/Program Files/Java/jre6/bin;C:/usr/ut
> il;C:/DRWEB;C:/USR/BP/BIN;C:/d/REINST/ROOT/DOOM;C:/d/REINST/ROOT/UTIL;C:/usr/ARH;C:/USR/VP21/BIN.W32

Your path indicates that you have a lot of non-cygwin software inside
your cygwin installation (under C:/usr).  That seems like a bad idea to me.

> Error opening terminal: cygwin.
>
> [C:\]$
>
> And the same when trying to start it from bash command prompt:
>
> bash-3.2$ lynx
> Error opening terminal: cygwin.
> bash-3.2$
>
> Meh... Any good idea what to delete in attempt to fix this?

As cgf said, maybe you aren't running cygwin's lynx.  Did you install
cygwin's lynx package?  What does 'cygcheck -c lynx' show?  What does
'which lynx' show?

Ken